A-Z of Worker Help

We are currently building this section to provide links to official or otherwise reliable sources of information, help and support.

Legal advice

It is important that you seek advice if you are unsure on your employment status and/or believe your employment rights have been breached. As a first step, you could try ACAS, Citizens Advice, or a trade union if you belong to one (or want to join one).

If you need specialist help, you could try an employment law solicitor – you can use the Law Society website to find one (they may offer a free initial consultation).

For free legal advice, you can find your nearest law centre using the law centre website.

Limited Companies

A limited company is a form of business which is legally separate from its owners and managers and is incorporated at Companies House in the UK.

People who have their own limited company will be a director of their company and generally also:

o   the shareholder of the company and

o   the employee of the company (that the company uses to supply the services that it is contracted to provide).

·      Find guidance on GOV.UK on limited company formation.

·      Find guidance on GOV.UK on running a limited company.

·      You can find out more about more about the consequences of setting up and running a limited company on the LITRG website.

·      If you are thinking of setting up a limited company to run a business through, you should read this article by LITRG first.

·      If you are a freelance professional who supplies their services through limited company, the limited company may be known as a personal service company, and you may be called a ‘contractor.’ You will need to understand whether the IR35/off payroll rules impact you. You should also make sure you are aware of the risks of entering into a Contractor Loan Schemes, which you can read more about on GOV.UK.