Seeking advice or making a complaint

Guidance on how to seek further advice or make a complaint about your employer or agency.

Seeking advice

If you are concerned that your employer/agency is not fulfilling their requirements by law, there are a few ways you can seek further advice and guidance or make a complaint.

​If you would like general advice on your situation, ACAS (Arbitration, Conciliation, and Advice Service)can provide this to you, free of charge and impartially.

You may also want to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

which is also free of charge and impartial.

If you are a member of a Trade Union, you can also seek advice and guidance from them, which is a benefit of your membership.  

Making a complaint

In some circumstances, you can make a complaint to the relevant government body and ask them to investigate the issues that you have raised with the employer/agency on your behalf.

​Types of complaints that will be assessed are:

  • not being paid, or not receiving National Minimum Wage/National Living Wage
  • unexplained deductions from wages
  • some Health & Safety concerns – you may also need to contact your local Council/Authority
  • employers/agencies
  • gangmasters, including the supply of unlicensed labour

You can make a complaint either by contacting ACAS (Arbitration, Conciliation, and Advice Service) who will connect you with the relevant government body, or by completing a UK GOV pay and work rights complaint form.